Discover the airport's history of Saint-Brieuc Armor, its creation in our days.




Pioneers with their toes in the water  

At the beginning of the 20th century, Cesson beach was the first place to be used as a landing strip in the Côtes d’Armor. At low tide, the beach was taken over by the pioneers of aviation under the admiring gaze of the Saint Brieuc public.

On the town heights 

The question of constructing a permanent aerodrome was first raised in the early 1930’s, and the area of Plaine Villes, between the communes of St. Brieuc and Ploufragan, was selected in 1937, just before the Second World War, as the site for Saint Brieuc’s first airport. The grass runways were replaced by a hard surface 1400m long runway during 1961 and 1962. The first regular service, to Paris, was inaugurated by Air-Inter in 1965. 

The town at the airport’s gates  

With the technical evolution of aircraft and the rapid urban expansion of the town of Saint Brieuc, it soon became clear that the airport could no longer operate flights in total safety. The orientation of the runway necessitated aircraft on their final approach to overfly the town’s built-up areas at very low altitude, with all the obvious nuisances this caused, and the inherent risks of flying low over a densely populated area when taking off or landing.

The new airport : Saint-Brieuc Armor  

The search for a new location began in 1972, and from many possibilities the site of La Lande, at Pordic, was chosen. A Joint Association of Local Authorities was created on the 4th of August, 1981, by Ministerial Decree in order to “manage the construction work and the equipment of the airport and to oversee the airport’s installations and its future development”.


Situated just over 5 miles from the suburbs of Saint Brieuc, and bordering the N12 national highway, the new airport is equipped with a 2200m runway, which is the second longest runway in Brittany after Brest. It is equipped with the I.L.S. landing system, enabling aircraft to land in reduced visibility.